Equity Release – How Can it Help Me?
Equity Release | Mortgage Advice in Doncaster
Benefits of Equity Release | Mortgage Broker in Doncaster
Equity Release mortgages can help people in a number of ways. Many people have heard of them, but are unsure as to whether they would be eligible and what benefits they may obtain, so in this article, we’re going to look at:
- Who can qualify for Equity Release Mortgages?
- How much equity do I need in the property?
- What purposes can I raise the money for?
Who can qualify for Equity Release Mortgages?
Firstly, your “equity” can be summarised as the value of your stake vested in the bricks and mortar of the property. So, if you already own your home, then your “equity” is the open market value of your house less the balance of any mortgage outstanding on it. If you’re a buyer, your “equity” is the amount of cash deposit you are putting into the transaction.
Secondly, Equity release Mortgages are aimed at older borrowers. Thus, you’d need to be at least 55 years old to be considered for an Equity Release plan and for some types that increase to age 60.
In general, it’s fair to say that the older you are, the better terms you’re likely to be offered from a lender. Other factors that would be considered in a traditional mortgage application, however – for example, earned income, pension income, number of dependents etc. – do not come into it. It is purely base on the value of your property.
How much equity do I need in the property?
The answer to this question is not entirely straightforward. Put simply, the amount you can borrow on this type of deal will be dictated by a combination of how old you are and how much equity you have?
Most providers have their own calculators and these can vary, but it’s fair to say the older you are, the more equity can be released. Your Equity Release Advisor will be able to accurately calculate this figure for you when you meet up.
What purposes can I raise the money for?
The uses of Equity Release are many and varied, here are just a few examples:
- Pay off an existing mortgage – for example if you’re coming to the end of an interest only deal
- Helping a family member – perhaps to provide a deposit for their own home purchase. Indeed, many people see this as a way of helping family now rather than making them wait for their inheritance.
- Supplement a low pension to provide additional income
- Buy a new property
- Home improvements or alterations
- Pay off other debts/bills
- Buy a new car
- Pay for a carer to be provided in the home
In short, most legal reasons can be accommodated. Don’t forget, Equity Release mortgages are not necessarily suitable for everyone and in some of these instances there may be other, more suitable courses of action, but your Advisor will help you with this.
At Doncastermoneyman.com, we have a history of providing you with bespoke, detailed, local mortgage advice as to what may be the most suitable way forward in your particular circumstances.
To add to this local service, we’ve now teamed up with Equity Release Specialist and between us, we’d be happy to come to meet you in the comfort of your own home to discuss any questions you may have on anything mentioned above.
- First Time Buyer Mortgage Advice in Doncaster
- Home Mover Mortgage Advice in Doncaster
- Remortgage Advice
- Buy to Let Mortgage Advice in Doncaster
- Right to Buy Mortgage Advice in Doncaster
- Self Employed Mortgages
- Specialist Mortgage Advice in Doncaster
- Ask a Question